Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Great American Scrapbook Convention

I had soooooo much fun! Wish you had been there with me. This was my third year to attend and there will be more. This is the only convention I have attended so I don't have anything to compare it to but I can say it is well thought out and organized. Over the three years I have been I have seen improvements made each year. I don't know how they can improve on it after this year.
I took six classes and volunteered in three. Of all the classes my favorite was a banner made from double layered and stitched canvas. I will definitely use canvas again. We learned to use a roller doodle, make a grungy flower from paper strips and decorate the top cording with buttons and handmade charms from rub ons. It was a 1 1/2 hour class but could have easily used another 30 min. I will post a picture when I finish the details on mine. The buttons in the class kit were gold and I am a silver girl so I will trade them out. The rub ons were numbers in circles and I wanted a punch that was the right size to punch the circles out rather than cut them out with scissors. My punch was too large so that was all the excuse I needed to buy a smaller punch. LOL. I love Creative Memories punches so that is what I bought. It goes with the ones I already have. **** TIP**** I store my punches in an over-the-door shoe organizer. It keeps them all together and close at hand.**** I think this banner would be great as a chair decoration for the birthday person in your life or mother/father's day or other celebration. You could dress up the canvas any way you like. It could even be interchangable if you added velcro dots to the canvas instead of adhesive. I'm now on the hunt for some pretty vintage buttons. I started looking on etsy last night. Do any of you have places you like to shop for vintage buttons? Please leave me a link in your comments if you do.
Next week I'll tell you about the scrapping celebrities I met. I'll give you a clue... one is into pastels and the other is into literature. Can you guess??? I love to read your comments so please feel free to speak up. I also want to thank you for your thoughts and prayers during my family's recent loss. I hope you each have a BLESSED week. ms.cheryl

3 comments:

Karenladd said...

Hey Cheryl!
The only scrapbook convention I've been to was Scrapbook Expo and I was disappointed with the two classes that I took there so am so glad to hear you had a great experience. sounds the class you took was perfect for you and I'd love to see the finished banner!

Sammye Jo said...

I am so not good with trivia!! lol. Sounds like you had a blast! I would love to go sometime!! Can't wait to see you pictures!
Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

I would love to know where to find vintage buttons too? Thanks for the post. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for stopping by!
Don't forget to sign up as a follower!